Thursday, September 25, 2008

Malcolm Sex becomes the MANelectro.

Allow me to preface this post with a little background information on the above terms.

First. There was a company founded in the late 1940's called Danelectro. They produced what at the time were considered to be lower-end guitars and amps... but are now considered gems and fetch quite a price. (More info: Wikipedia)

Second. Malcolm X was an African American Muslim minister, public speaker, and human rights activist. To his admirers, he was a courageous advocate for the rights of African Americans, a man who indicted white America in the harshest terms for its crimes against black Americans.[2] His detractors accused him of preaching racism and violence. He has been described as one of the most influential African Americans of the 20th century. (Source: Wikipedia)

Is stated earlier, I build and re-build guitars. A few weeks ago, I nabbed a 1958 Danelectro U-1 from ebay listen in "project" condition. I think even that was a bit generous. The guitar came with no tuners or electronics (save for an unwired insert). The pot-holes had been sealed over, and a portrait of Malcolm X had been painted on top.



Its a work in progress, but I am currently sanding down the entire body. It was a tough decision to make... someone had put a lot of time into this portrait... should I really do this? But I came to the conclusion that a guitar is meant to be played... and I just cannot see myself playing a guitar with a portrait of Malcolm X on it... and much as I am loathe to say it, I can't see myself SELLING such a guitar either (which is why I bought it in the first place). The portrait is not too bad when viewed from a distance, but up close you see that the majority of it is completed with Sharpie and White-out (dated at 1991 when the White Out Pen was all the rage).

Almost done... discovering what is underneath the surface paint will enable me to decide my paint scheme, but I've settled on either white or black, completed with gold hardware.

More soon!!

No comments: